Apple MacBook Pro MB076LL/A 17-inch Laptop (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Glossy Display 2 GB RAM 160 GB Hard Drive DVD/CD SuperDrive)


A very nice update to the MacBook Pro5

I had been wanting to switch to Mac for a little while now and was just waiting for the best timing for me. When Apple updated the MacBook Pros with a better processor better graphics more system ram and led-backlighting shortly after the birth of our daughter (the selling point to my wife was that I would be better able to edit videos and whatnot of the kiddo) the timing was just right. I've been a longtime DOS/Windows user - and now I feel like some kind of refugee - fleeing PC for a Mac OS X world and I couldn't be happier - although it's not without its adjustments.



I originally wrote this review for the 15" 2.4 gHz middle of the line MacBook Pro. However Amazon has set this review to appear for all three models in the line which can make it confusing. I've tried to edit it some to make it clear what the differences are between the models. Also now that Amazon has actually added extensive product information for the MBP I'll try to take out some of my initial information on specs that is now redundant.



There remain three models in the line and the price points for each of those models has remained the same from the previous generation.



- 15" models now have an LED backlit screen 17" models do NOT (as of yet). Some folks think you have a better rendition of black in the screen - I'm not sure if it is better or not but it is gorgeous. In the store it appeared to me that the new screen (as viewed on the 15") was brighter than the older screen type (which is still on the 17"). The LED screen initially appeared washed out in the lighting of the Apple store but I then realized that at full brightness it can have that effect - turning down the brightness (who ever heard of that) - took away the washed out look.



- Apple says that using LED's (instead of flourescent tubes) uses less power generates less heat provides more range of brightness and more even lighting. This would appear to be true in practice as well as theory. Battery life is good and the lighting of the screen (as noted above) is quite bright and appears to be very even. As for heat I really haven't checked the screen temps but the computer itself does not run as hot as I thought it would (based on reviews of prior generations). It is warm but not at all uncomfortable to have on my lap (with the caveat that I have not done a lot of processor intensive work as of yet). Oddly enough Apple states above that the display is mercury-free but the box label says that the screen contains mercury - it may well just be a label update glitch.



- These models are MATTE screen. If you want GLOSSY you'll need to order from Apple or pick one up at their store (I did). I have heard that the glossy is actually more readable outdoors than the matte but I have yet to confirm this for myself. That said I've had no viewability issues in widely varied lighting conditions of my office (which is pretty bright with overhead lighting and lots of exterior light) and my house (which is largely the opposite).



- The system runs well (or so it seems) with 2 GB but I am upgrading to 4 GB (the sticks are on their way - but not from Apple - way overpriced).



- the 17" and higher-end 15" get 256 MB of video ram 128 MB in the lower-end 15" model - most folks are probably fine with 128 MB as it is the change in the graphics processor here that is truly the big news in performance. On the other hand the extra video ram may give you the feeling of being a little bit more future-proofed and may be more helpful for hardcore gamers and people who are driving large external displays. I opted for the 256 MB.



- hard drive is a very nice 160GB 5400 RPM Fujitsu drive in the 17" and higher-end 15". The lower-end MacBook Pro hard drive is a 120GB 5400RPM Drive - this oddly is smaller than the 160 GB drive that is in the top line MacBook that is several hundred dollars less. I'll probably add an external Firewire 800 drive for the video work I want to do.



- processor speed gets a minor upgrade to 2.4 gHz (from 2.33 or to 2.2 from 2.16 for the lower-end 15" model - but this is the new Santa Rosa processor - with a faster bus speed of 800 mHz (although the memory speed remains at a max of 667 mHz).



For $500 less the lower-end 15" model has 128 MB of video ram (instead of 256) a 2.2 gHz Santa Rosa processor (.2 slower) and a 120 GB hard drive. However it still retains the other upgrades including the 4 GB maximum system memory and the LED backlit screen and seems to be an excellent bargain as most of the differences appear reasonably nominal. That said I chose to go with the higher end 15" version - I probably don't need it but I plan to do a fair amount of video editing and perhaps some high resolution projection - warranting the slightly faster processor and more video ram) - and I'm also somewhat neurotic and unlikely to second guess having made the higher end choice. At least I can admit it.



A friend of mine asked why I didn't get the MacBook for a thousand dollars less. For me the screen-size was not so much an issue but I feel that twice the maximum ram the separate graphics processing unit the Firewire 800 the ExpressCard slot (if I wanted to add a CDMA or GSM-based wireless connection card) and the LED screen was well worth the difference.



Perhaps it goes without saying but the computer itself seems well-built and well-engineered - but it's all relative and it's not hard to be a better more integrated product than most windows-based pc's. The MBP replaces an older Toshiba laptop for me - and there's really no point in even trying to make a comparison it's a joke. The Mac O/S is a bit of a learning curve for me - but more like I am trying to unlearn "bad habits" from Windows - things now make sense in an operational and functional manner. Overall it's an attention to detail that I really appreciate on both the hardware and the software side - little things like a backlit auto-dimming keyboard or the magnetic power connector. I have to admit though that after initially being impressed by the light-sensing auto-dimming screen - I am annoyed by the fact that the sensor is apparently in the keyboard and in a bright room certain hand movements cause the screen brightness to change back and forth. I'll probably turn off the feature because of this.More detail ...